Daily Exercise Routine
Even though medications help you control Ankylosing Spondylitis symptoms, exercise is just as important if you want to keep up your flexibility
A physiotherapist can design a program that will help enhance your movement and flexibility. Always consult your physiotherapist as they are the experts to recommend the appropriate exercises.
Benefits of exercise in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Reduced pain and stiffness, good body flexibility and improved joint range of movement
- Better body posture
- Improved muscle strength and endurance
- Improved balance
- Improved lung capacity and cardiovascular fitness
- Improved sleep quality
The right treatment, regular exercise and adequate lifestyle modifications will help you get back your life!
Your exercise routine should include a warm up and cool down.
Exercises that can be included in your daily routine are:
- Deep breathing exercises
- Recumbent stationery cycling or cycling
- Circuit training for full body workout: A combination of stretching, strengthening and cardiovascular exercise
- Core stability exercises
Ankylosing Spondylitis Exercises
Planning and structuring your exercise routine will help you improve different aspects of your fitness. Each exercise schedule should comprise of the following components:
- Breathing exercises
- Flexibility exercises
- Mobility exercises
- Cardiovascular exercises
- Strengthening exercises
Ask your Rheumatologist for biologics that slow down spinal fusion.
- Exercise classes. National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society. Available [online] at URL: http://nass.co.uk/exercise/exercise-classes/Accessed on 9th June 2017
- Exercise for your AS. National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society. Available [online] at URL:http://nass.co.uk/exercise/exercise-for-your-as/Accessed on 8th June 2017
- Back to Action. NAAS. Available [Online] at: https://nass.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Back-to-Action-low-resolution-version.pdfAccessed on 7 May 2019
Disclaimer: This is a graphical representation of an Ankylosing Spondylitis patient. Always seek medical advice from your Rheumatologist/Physiotherapist before undertaking any physical activity.
In Collabration with Novartis